You hope for a favorable outcome for your aging mother or father’s physical or mental health. Lately, you notice your parent has difficulty keeping up with bills, grocery shopping and other everyday tasks. Should you consider a guardianship? 

Forbes offers scenarios in which adult children may want to take legal action to care for an elderly loved one. See if anything below resonates with you. 

You need to sell real estate property  

If your mother or father needs to move out of her or his current home, an appointed guardian may be the only person who can legally sell the property. The same may apply to any investments your parent wants or needs to sell. 

Your parent does not want to sign a power of attorney  

A power of attorney document gives an individual authority over another’s finances, assets and the like. Your parent may not want to sign this document and name you as her or his agent, giving you the authority to make decisions for your parent. If you fear your father or mother may become incapacitated because of an illness, filing for guardianship may present your only recourse. 

Your parent does not want to go to a nursing home  

Maybe you feel your loved one is better off in the care of a reputable nursing home, but your parent refuses to go. To get your mom or dad necessary care, petitioning for guardianship could be the only way to take care of her or him. 

Do you think guardianship makes for a viable option for your parent? Take your time in deciding if filing makes for the most favorable decision for you both.